Here is a list of the most common Business English Telephone Phrases for: Answering the Phone, Connecting someone, Introducing yourself, Taking and Leaving a message for someone, Putting somebody on hold, Leaving Messages on voice mail and more.
Most Common Business English Telephone Phrases
Answer the Phone Phrases
- Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon
- How can I help you?
- Who would you like to speak to?
Telephone Phrases for Connecting someone – you answer the phone but it is for somebody else.
- Hold the line, I’ll put you through.
- One minute, I’ll transfer you now.
- Let me see if Ms…… is available.
- One moment, please.
Introducing yourself – when you are calling.
- This is Jima
- Jim speaking
- This is … /company/, … /name/ speaking.
- Could I speak to …, please?
- Could you put me through to …, please?
- I’m calling about …
Taking a message for someone
- I’m afraid, Jim is not available at the moment. Can I take a message?
- Jim is in a meeting at the moment. May I ask who’s calling?
- Would you like to leave a message?
- If you give me your phone number, Jim will call you back.
- Could I have your name, please?
Telephone phrases for Leaving a message for someone
- Please tell him that…..
- Could you please tell Jim I phoned?
- Could you give Jim a message, please?
- When do you expect him back in the office?
- Do you know when … will be back?
- Could you ask Jim to call me back?
- I’ll try again later / tomorrow.
- Maybe you could help me?
Don’t understand the caller
- Sorry? / Pardon?
- Could you repeat that, please?
- I can hardly hear you.
- I didn’t get that.
- I’m sorry, I didn’t catch what you just said.
- Could you speak more slowly, please?
- Could you speak louder, please?
- The line is bad.
- My English isn’t very good.
- Can you please spell that for me?
- How do you spell your last name?
- Let me repeat your information to make sure I got it right.
English Telephone Phrases for Putting somebody on hold
- Would you like to hold?
- I’m sorry, I have a call on my other line. Can you please hold?
Telling person you will call them back
- Will it be ok if I call you back in about 15 minutes?
- Can I call you back in about 30 minutes?
Asking for the caller’s name
- Could I take your name, please?
- Who’s calling, please?
Asking for someone
- I’d like to speak to Jim Smith, please.
- Could I speak to Jim Smith, please?
- Could I speak to someone who …
Business English Phrases for Redirecting
- What is the best way to contact Jim Smith?
- Can you redirect me to Jim Smith?
- What is the best way to contact him?
- Can you direct me to someone who can help?
Telephone Phrases for Leaving Messages on voice mail
- Can you give me a call back when you have time? My number is …………. Thank you.
- Can you call me when you are free? Just in case, my number is ………
- Can you call me at 555-4444-555 when you get a chance? Thank you