Choosing the best task management software and tools for your needs has an essential meaning no matter if you have a small business or a big one.
Before selecting a task tracking and planning system, you have to consider a couple of things. Do you need offline or online task manager? Will you prefer open source task app or you will buy one?
Every task manager is generally equipped with basic features for organizing a team, project, sales, office, order tracking, the whole staff (or particular department such as IT), and others.
In this article, you will find:
- A list of the top all in one but easy to use / simple task management software and tools.
- Most popular personal tools and apps for organizing and managing tasks.
- Some of the best free task tracking and scheduling software.
- Top features any good task management application should have. Infographic for free download.
All in One but Simple to Use Task Management Software and Tools. Best List.
Revolutionize Your Project Management and Collaboration
- Task Management – you can improve planning and provide your team with a central hub for task management. Allows the team to keep their projects on track.
- Built-In Accountability – identify at-risk initiatives early, evaluate different trends, and strategically allocate work.
- Video Conferencing – great for face-to-face meetings.
- Mobile Collaboration – mobile iPhone, iPad, and Android apps that allow you to stay in the loop even if you are on the road.
- Team Business Chat – boost team productivity, idea generation, task creation and completion.
- Locally Hosted Option – if you want the security of your hardware, you can use Redbooth Private Cloud.
- Intuitive, User-Friendly Design, Workflow Templates, Unlimited Workspaces and more features.
Go beyond traditional task and project management
- Wrike combines project management with a real-time workspace for discussion, collaboration, and document sharing.
- Great for both large and small businesses.
- Task management software – with Wrike’s online task manager, it is easy to finish your tasks faster. You can keep a personal to-do list and your ideas, manage team task lists, and effectively work with your team to get things done – all in one place in real time.
- Salesforce Integration – managing client projects just got easier
- Gantt charts – you can easily create Gantt charts to plan and visualize your projects.
- Timeline software – Dynamic Timeline™ – a visual tool that gives you a real-time view of the project.
- Easy to use project scheduling software – optimize and update team’s schedules.
- Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar — Wrike integrates with them all.
- One of the best all-in-one task management software that allows you to improve planning and accountability, keep goals in clear focus, and be part of a high-performing team.
Project management done right.
- One of the easy to use web-based software that allows you to track time, assign staff, or reschedule projects. Quoting and invoicing are really simple.
- Great for medium-sized or small business.
- Tasks, time and communications in one place.
- Task management with flexible task types and easily customizable templates.Time management with powerful reporting and easy timesheet entry.
- Easily manage and organize your clients, staff and business partners.
- Workflow and resource management.
- Templates that work in seconds for creating tasks, projects, and invoices.
- Great collaboration possibilities – messaging, file sharing, alerts, and notifications.
- Add-ons – time tracker, app store, and widgets.
- Integrations – Xero, Quickbooks online and desktop, Freshbooks, Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, API.
- Free trial avible.
Do the right work. At the right time.
- One of the best online IT project and task manager tools to organize your business and work.
- Award-winning technology that is mobile-friendly, simple and easy to use, secure, and fully hosted.
- You can easy schedule multiple projects, assign tasks, track time, and monitor process and progress in one central place.
- Predictive Schedules, Always Updated – creates schedules automatically based on project priorities and predicts the most likely end dates of all your projects.
- Best Case/Worst Case Estimates – estimate a realistic range of time to complete tasks.
- Allows you to organize hundreds of IT projects and tasks in a single view.
- Workload Intelligence – know in an instant who’s working on what and when it will be delivered.
- Great project and task management software for fast-moving technology teams.
- Free trial available.
Effortless Task Management right from Gmail
- Manage and delegate tasks with Shared Gmail Labels. You can easily turn Gmail into a powerful task management tool.
- Add a Label to an email to Assign as a Task. The software syncs the email with the label to everyone’s inbox.
- Works great from iPhone, Mail.app, Outlook, and any email client.
- You can create your own workflow for customer support, projects, and sales.
- So many things you can manage easily – Customer Support from Email, Project Management from Email, Lead Management, Collaborative Inbox for Gmail, Email Delegation for Gmail, Gmail Task Management, Gmail Groups, Share Gmail Contacts and more.
- One of the best online task management tools with task and progress tracking.
Powerful work productivity platform for your entire organization
- Easy to use online apps for project management, CRM, billing, support, issues, time-tracking & more.
- You can simply consolidate data and communication with your co-workers, colleagues, clients, and business partners.
- All-in-one but user-friendly and simple task management software that allows you to work from anywhere and any device in secure cloud workspaces. Store all your documents and tasks online.
- You can structure communication in your entire organization from any department – IT, Marketing and Sales, Financial, Law firms, and etc.
- You cam manage your tasks effectively with a range of features – Tasks total & unreads, Tasks-tree across projects, Seeing progress, Auto-scheduled workload and more.
- Secure cloud – highest security standards and encrypt all data flows with 256-bit SSL.
- Suitable for big and small businesses with many solutions – for project managers, project teams, your clients, for technology and IT companies, Marketing, Advertizing, and PR, for consulting & law companies, non-profits & associations.
Quickly Skyrocket Your Business Productivity. No Training or Downloads. Best Pricing.
- Online project management, task collaboration and business tool aimed mainly at medium-sized and small business but it can be used successfully by corporations too.
- Fast task management that allows you to create tasks quickly and easy editing them.
- Alerts and reminders – assigned and involved people get notification emails.
- Add new people and projects with great speed and flexibility.
- Google Integration for creating tasks very easily and quickly.
- All information centralized in one easy view, powerful filters to see what you need.
- Task lists – group any task into a list, easily move tasks to other lists, quick editing.
- Milestones – highly effective but simple milestone setting.
- Gantt Charts – again simple and easy to use but with a high level of effectiveness.
- Mindmaps – allows you to have a great visual overview of every project.
- Files / Data Storage – all your files are in one central, safe location accessible from anywhere
- People / Permissions – control who sees what with permission levels that can vary across different projects.
- Free trial available.
Personal tools and apps for task management and organizing
Complete all your tasks
- Easily create notes, track tasks and save information that you find online.
- This task management tool allows you to stay organized with no efforts. Free version includes:
- To Do list, write and collect ideas, create project plans and timetables.
- Share what you want with other people and discuss without switching between apps or leave your workplace.
- Stay in sync on all devices – all content in Evernote is updated instantly to any computer or smartphone or other devices you use.
- Evernote is available in 4 plans – Basic (which is free, great for personal use), Plus, Premium and Business.
- One of the most popular powerful task management apps to help you organize your thoughts, work, and goals.
Leave email, sticky notes behind
- One of the most popular hybrid task and project management tools, Azendoo can also be used for managing your personal projects and tasks or for your business.
- Store all your communication and information in one place, integrating with the services and tools that you need every day.
- Great tool for team and collaboration. You can easily keep track on your team work and projects.
- Work management with task planning, tasks export, task cards, assigning, recurrence, multi-tagging, public tasks, task comments, and etc.
- Full-featured mobile apps to stay up to date.
- Calendar to visualize and organize.
- 30-day free trial available.
Accomplish more, every day.
- You can easily manage tasks and projects anywhere you are – at home, at school, at work. Online. Offline. Apps and extensions for 10+ platforms.
- Simple, intuitive and distraction-free design.
- Easy to use everywhere – on mobile devices, web browsers, inboxes, and more.
- You can share unlimited tasks with anyone who you want – colleagues, team members, family, friends.
- Many features – sub tasks, sub projects, notifications, powerful recurring dates, real-time data synchronization, multiple priorities, labels and filters, reminders, comments.
- You can use it for a wide range of personal tasks – from your work and business projects to planning your wedding or writing a graduate thesis.
- One of the simplest and most popular personal task management tools.
Free task tracking and scheduling software and tools
Task Management Software for Teams
- One of the best free task manager apps that allow you to get your things done no matter where you are.
- A simple and powerful tool for working faster and get better results.
- You can assign tasks, organize to-do list, and get real-time updates on your projects.
- Use it on your iPhone, iPad or your Android device. Task tracking anywhere.
- Organization features – networks, projects, labels, priorities, subtasks, deadlines, filters and more.
- Team collaboration features – assign, follow, mention, attach, email.
- Tracking features – notifications, reminders, activity feed, audit trail, export.
- You can use the software absolutely free with a lot of powerful features or buy additional features in the premium version.
Simply work together
- One of the most intuitive project and task management tools on the web.
- You can easily create a project, assign tasks, add as many team members as you want and follow each team member’s progress.
- It is very flexible project board that adapt to your workflow.
- You are up to date wherever you are with MeisterTask’s free apps for iPhone, iPad, Mac OS and Windows.
- Get instant communication – simple to discuss the details of the job with your team, upload files, add checklist items and etc.
- Readily integrated with a wide range of apps such as Zendesk, Box, Bitbucket, Dropbox, GitHub, or Google Drive.
- Great for saving time and automate your workflow.
- One of the best free task management software. The tool has also a premium version with added Unlimited integrations, Workflow automation with Section Actions, Statistics, and reports.
Top features any good task management software should have
Each task manager software must have a range of useful features. Some of the most important are listed below. And any good task system should provide the most of them.
When you are searching for a task manager for your business or personal use, make sure the system have:
- Task definition – name, description, start date, end date, duration. It provides major task information.
- Task planned and current status – it shows where you should be and where you actually are.
- Dependencies between the tasks –obviously, one task could not exist alone. It is related to other tasks. For some, it is predecessor, for others successor.
- Resource pool – contains all of the work force available.
- Resource assignment, scheduling, and alignment – options for link tasks and resource pool entity for the task period. The assignment should allow resource percentage definition. For example – resource X will work 50% for task Y.
- Task and resources tracking – monitoring features to know exactly where you are.
- Collaboration between people during task execution – options for mailing, chats, tickets, re-assigning tasks, etc.
- Diagrams such as Gantt Charts and Timelines – one diagram costs 1 000 words, so the more diagrams the better.
- Alert and Notifications – options for sending mails or SMS in case of urgency.
- Milestones – important check points.
- User rights and security features – for example, allowing some users to re-assign and other not, can provide flexibility. So user-rights come handy. Security is also important especially in the case of cloud web-based or mobile task application.
- Website / Mobile access – the more the better.
- Prediction – some features for predictions could be very useful when you are searching for bottlenecks.
- Set of Reports – the more the better. It will be perfect if you can set your own reports.
- Analytical features – once again some internal calculation plus reports can do miracles.
- Integration options with other software – extremely important option nowadays. Obviously, task manager is not the only software your company has. So user-friendly integration options can make the difference.
- Dashboard – information on the glance. Nice to have during a busy day.
Download the following Task management software Infographic in PDF for free.
Selecting task management software is not the easiest task in the business world. But if you define your requirements and carefully investigate different task tools and apps, you will be to take the best decision.
Always aim to find a system that provides all in one solution bit is simple and easy to use. And having implemented a top task manager can really boost your efficiency.