If you are searching for the best flowchart software (and Visio alternatives) for your business, there are a number of choices from which you can choose your diagram flowchart maker.
What is a flowchart software?
It is a tool that allows you to represent a process thought graphics, diagrams, and symbols. Each step in the process contains a short description. The flow chart symbols are linked together with arrows to illustrate the flow direction of the process.
Some of the most popular flowchart types are workflow and process flow diagram.
Many software programs are available to create flowcharts. Some of them are installed on PCs, Mac, Linux, and others areonline and cloud-based. There is also a good number of interactive, simple to use, open source and free tools.
Typically, a flowchart software is a diagram software with a huge range of features. Besides flowcharts, a particular diagram maker can include a wide range of other diagram types such as Org Charts, Mind Maps, Project Charts, Venn diagrams, UML diagrams, Decision Tree, Infographics, Data Flow Diagram and much more.
Benefits for Business:
Flowcharts are mostly used in creating and developing business plans and processes, determining problematic steps, designing different algorithms and more.
A flowchart generator allows you to analyze, improve, and manage a business process. It helps you to visualize what is going on.
Flowcharts help you to understand different relationships in a process, to collect data about this process and its steps, to measure and track the process performance and much more.
And the most important, a flowchart maker can be your support in decision-making and problem-solving.
Here you will see a list of the most proven, popular and top flowchart software tools – alternatives to Visio that have a high level of customer satisfaction and positive reviews.
Best Flowchart Software Tools for Business Needs. Visio alternatives.
Lucidchart is a web-based flowchart software and diagramming program that makes drawing diagrams very fast and easy. It allows you to easily draw flowcharts, UML, wireframes, mind maps and much more. It also offers an iPad app that lets you edit flowchart files.
Highlights and features:
- Online diagram application that makes it easy for you to sketch and share flowchart diagrams.
- Support a huge range of business needs – from brainstorming to project management.
- Compatible with many other programs including Google Apps, Google Drive, Visio, Jira.
- Complete support for Microsoft Visio documents.
- Very intuitive drag-and-drop functionality. Drawing is as easy as dragging from the edge of an object.
- Huge range of templates and examples for Flowcharts, UML, ERD, Network Diagrams, Mind Maps, Org Charts and more.
- Very good support service by forum and e-mail.
- Data encryption with Secure Socket Layer (SSL).
- Robust backup – every version of your diagrams are stored automatically.
- Affordable price.
- Great collaboration capabilities – real-time collaboration, group chat and comments, ability to embed diagrams in blogs and websites and more.
- One of the well-known and best flowchart software for business needs.
Who Using IT?
Some of their customers are: Allianz, Accenture, Dropbox, Entrepreneur magazine, Ford, Groupon, Netflix, GoPro, Mozilla, USA Today and much more.
Edraw Max is one of the easiest and fastest flowchart generator and software to create diagrams of any kind.With over 12,000 images, Edraw has one of the best shape libraries out there. This is an excellent flowchart software that is used also to create a wide selection of business diagrams and technical drawings. With a solid range of diagramming and organizational features and incredibly simple interface, Edraw is definitely one of the best flowchart software tools.
Highlights and Features:
- Incredibly easy-to-use and intelligent software. No prior experience required.
- More than 200 diagram types. It is not even necessary to have any design or diagramming skills to build professional-looking and quality graphics.
- Diversified libraries and over 12000 vector symbols that make drawing one of the easiest in the industry.
- Extensive templates and examples, new and updated shapes, and out-of-the-box drawing tools.
- You can create interactive infographics quickly – smart infographics that anyone can create.
- Many diagram types for business – Flowcharts, Mind Maps, Org Charts, Rack Diagrams, Floor Plans, Decision Tree, Relationship Matrix, Gantt Chart, Timeline, Network Diagram, Project Chart. UML diagrams, workflows, and much more.
- Also, you can create a good range of technical diagrams as those used by electricians or engineers.
- Collaboration capabilities with its Team Cloud.
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- Fully Visio compatible and one of the preferable Visio alternative for students, teachers and business professionals.
- Flexibility – you can export in any graphics format, Word, PowerPoint, PDF, SVG or EPS, print with full WYSIWYG support, or share with others as a Word, Excel, PowerPoint file.
Edraw offers one of the most popular flowchart software with a large selection of tools and features. It is not a problem if you have no familiar with diagram makers, you are able to create professional-looking diagrams in minutes.
One of the simplest ways to draw anything, SmartDraw receive very good popularity in the past years. SmartDraw is a more affordable alternative to Visio with free support and thousands of templates. This flowchart software allows you to built-in examples and drawing tools even for very complex diagrams.
Highlights and Features:
- Thousands of professional templates – includes quick-start templates for more than 70 different kinds of charts, diagrams, and other visuals.
- Thousands of examples that you can quickly edit to suits you.
- Smart formatting let you create professional-looking charts and diagrams with ease. Even, you are able to build diagrams using only your keyboard.
- Easily integration – with a click, you can send your drawing directly to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and more. You can save your drawing to Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive.
- SmartDraw Enterprise also fully integrates with Microsoft SharePoint.
- SmartDraw Cloud allows you to create and edit diagrams in a web browser—whether you’re on Windows or Mac.
- Works on Any Device – on your computer, browser or mobile device—Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and etc.
- Visio compatibility – one of the good replacements for Visio.
- Share your diagram in a variety of common graphics formats.
- A wide range of solutions for process documentation, project management, strategic planning, an electronic whiteboard to use with an online meeting platform, presentations, and more.
Who is Using It?
SmartDraw is used by more than half of the Fortune 500 and by over 250,000 public and private enterprises of all sizes around the world.
Some of their clients are: Mayo Clinic, SAP, FedEx, Kraft, General Dynamics, Tesla, Nestle, NIH, Emerson and much more.
Gliffy is an online diagramming tool. Gliffy offers a WYSIWYG editor with a good choice of icons to select from. Actually, Gliffy is also known as one of the most affordable software alternatives to Visio. This easy-to-use diagram maker can create a huge range of flowcharts, Venn diagrams, Mind Maps, organizational charts, and more. Even if your skills have nothing to do with graphic design, Gliffy’s rich library of glyphs and a great variety of templates can help you make professional looking diagrams.
Highlights and Features:
- Many diagram types for your business – Flowcharts, Network Diagrams, Org Charts, Floor Plans, Mind Maps, Venn Diagrams, SWAT Analysis, Site maps, UML and more.
- Easy to use with an intuitive drag-and-drop interface.
- Collaboration – diagrams can be shared and edited by anyone with an Internet connection – coworkers, friends, even grandma.
- Templates and Themes – If you do not want to start a diagram from scratch, they have templates and themes to help you get started.
- One of the most affordable flowchart software and a cloud-based application for creating diagrams.
- Good library of standard shapes and containers.
- Integrates seamlessly with Google Drive. You are able to create, open, and edit Gliffy documents directly from Google Drive.
- You can import Microsoft Visio documents to view and edit them. Open, edit, and save all your old diagrams using Gliffy Online.
- You can create professional-looking flowcharts absolutely easily and quickly.
For very easy and simple diagramming, Gliffy is a good online diagram software option you can consider.
Who using it?
Gliffy has customers in over 40 countries that include small businesses, academia, and leading global corporations.
Some of their customers are: IBM Corp, Cisco Systems, Inc., Xerox Corporation, Oracle, Texas Instruments, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Electronic Arts, Bank of America, and much more.
Creately is a drag-and-drop based diagram software and maker built for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. Creately is also known as one of the most popular, cost effective and affordable alternatives to Microsoft Visio. If you are looking for easy-to-use, versatile flowchart and diagram maker that lets you seamlessly collaborate with others, Creately is one of the best greatest flowchart software for that purpose.
Highlights and Features:
- An intuitive and easy to use flowchart maker and diagram software.
- More than 50 types of diagrams with specialized features to help you draw faster and better. Flowchart, UI Mockups, Analytics, Amazon Web Services, SWOT Analysis, Data Flow Diagram, Gantt Chart, Infographics, UML, Chemical chart and much more.
- Real-Time collaboration and projects – help you work with clients and colleagues where ever you are. Changes you make to the diagram can be seen in real-time across Creately online or desktop.
- Inline comments and discussion threads.
- Thousands of templates and examples. Over 40 types of diagrams with specialized shape sets.100’s of specially designed templates for each type.
- Drag drop shapes – 100s of expertly designed shapes.
- Secure sharing links and emails.
- Easily import existing Visio files.
- PDF Export with working links.
- Work online or offline.
- Compatible with: Confluence, Google Apps, Jira and more.
Who using it?
Among their customers are: Amazon, ebay, Huawei, PayPal, Walt Disney, National Geographic, Wells Fargo, IBM, Pepsico, Siemens, Deloitte and much more.
If you aim to find the best flowchart software for your business needs, you have to decide first what do you need and what types of the diagrams also the software should have.
For example, if you are a project manager and you will be the only user of the software, you may need a program with a few diagram types but withreal-time collaboration and seamless integration with other programs you use.
However, if you are looking for a tool that will be used by many of your colleagues for different purposes, you have to search for a platform with many diagram types and a huge range of professional templates and examples.
There is a range of diagram makers and creators that are good Visio alternatives, so you just have to examine their features and choose the one that suits you best.
Flowchart makers are powerful business tools widely used in different areas such as project management, financial analysis, high-level management and much more.
With proper design and features, a flowchart allows you to logically follow business processes from beginning to end and to increase the effectiveness of this processes.