Finding the best workflow management software and tools for your needs have a crucial role in your business because the goal of the workflow management system is to optimize your business processes in the most effective way.
Before making the comparison and select software vendors, you have a couple of things to think about.
For example: Free / open source program or you will buy one? What features the system have to cover – document management, automation and tracking process, accounting or creative needs, agency goals, task and project management or others? Simple workflow application software or all-in-one solutions? Online, web & cloud-based or installed on PC? For large enterprise or small business? and etc.
On the page you will find:
- A list of the best workflow management software and tools. All in one and simple solutions.
- Free workflow application software and systems.
- How to choose the best workflow management tools for your needs. Quick guide with Infographic in PDF for free download.
Some of the best workflow management software and tools
- It is very easy to assign staff, track time or reschedule projects.
- A web-based project management, task management, time tracking, and workflow management software tool.
- Suitable for companies of all sizes – from large enterprise to small business, from public administrations to freelancers.
- Simple and user-friendly system.
- Easy Integration – ProWorkflow integrates with all the tools you need such as Xero, QuickBooks Online and Desktop, Freshbooks, and more…
- This workflow system includes all the features of a traditional project management solution: timeline, mobile time tracking to complete tasks and communication on the move, timesheet, project and task management, resource management, reporting, training, Gantt style timeline and etc.
- The system offers all features that a quality online workflow management software includes.
- An award-winning online project management software with high ratings and hundreds of positive reviews on major review sites and blogs.
- Focus on business collaboration and information / document management features.
- Extremely simple and easy to use and can be used to manage a wide spectrum of activities: from music production tasks to marketing ops campaigns at HootSuite.
- Mobile apps for ios and Android to collaborate wherever you are.
- Integrates with pretty much everything.
- Activity Stream, Timeline, and Reports that can help business managers and their teams save hours on internal meetings.
- Easily used even in thousand-person Enterprise teams, thanks to custom workflows and fields, custom data sharing, and privacy settings.
- Other features: financial management, scheduling, interactive Gantt charts, visual reporting, real-time collaboration, workload and activity views, time tracking, and more.
- Free trial available.
- If you aim to find an all-in-one solution for both project and workflow management, Planio is a really good software of choice.
- It is a highly configurable software, so you are able to run your workflow in your way.
- From powerful role-based permissions system to Project Manager-friendly planning tools (workflows, roadmaps, and milestones), Planio’s task management functionality is easy to use yet powerful enough to handle projects of any size.
- Very user-friendly interface with a lot of powerful features.
- You can create powerful workflows that define available steps based on roles.
- A configurable task management app that features portability, planning tool integration and intuitive workflow handling.
- File management with web access or smartphone.
- Other features – agile and traditional project management, great communication options via forums and comments, time tracking, Hosted Subversion & Git Repositories and much more.
- One of the most popular and best workflow management software and systems.
- A modern state-of-the-art cloud-based business process management tool for modeling and automation of typical department business operations.
- The system allows non-technical users to quickly set up and modify Workflows, Business Logic and Web Forms with drag and drop simplicity.
- Key features: Model and Visualize your Workflows, Make Changes “On the Fly” with no interruption to your ongoing activities, Automate and Continually Optimize, Maximize Productivity, and more.
- Easy and quick workflow setup using visual drag & drop Workflow Editor and Excel-style business Rules and Forms.
- Full Reporting and Analytics for efficient Workflow Management
- Embedded Data and Document management as well as Social Collaboration environment and more.
- If you need unprecedented control and visibility over your critical business operations, TrackVia is among the workflow management tools that can provide it with ease.
- Cloud-based database and application platform that makes it easy to collect and analyze data in real time.
- Easily create custom workflows for virtually any operational process.
- Built-in business intelligence allows you to visualize all of your workflow data in real time via charts, graphs and more, so you can identify problems, remove bottlenecks or take action to increase efficiency.
- Automation – automates tasks, work orders, alerts or steps through an event- or data-based triggers.
- Definitely, one of the best workflow management software tools.
- By visualizing your work as it flows through your process, LeanKit provides a big-picture understanding of the work .
- A software-as-a-service (SaaS) – a project management and workflow mapping application with follows the agile methodology.
- A highly flexible platform and system that enables teams to visualize the official workflow using virtual Kanban boards.
- Provides a go-to place that helps teams stay connected and informed, regardless of whether you’re in the same room or geographically distributed.
- Powerful reporting and analytics to measure the effectiveness of your business processes.
- Gives all team members and stakeholders a shared understanding of the work and provides the right level of visibility and detail to track progress.
- Easily accessed anytime, anywhere from a browser or mobile device.
- When it comes to fixing the chaos of business processes andwork automation, Kissflow definitely has a lot to give.
- Ideal for automating all the internal business processes.
- KiSSFLOW is a workflow product built exclusively for Google Apps. It offers Google Apps customers a simple and efficient way to automate workflows around their existing email user base.
- Key features: Forms to Capture Data, Tailor made Process Flows, Track Progress, Track Overall Efficiency, Delegate Approvals during Absence, Configure Your Workspace, ConfigureAd-hoc reports to match your needs and more.
- KiSSFLOW stands for Keep it Simple & Smart Workflow. Easy 5-step wizard allows users to build workflow in minutes without any coding.
- Pre-integrated with Google Docs, Contacts, Mail and Login (SSO) to provide a seamless Google experience.
- Kanban Tool is a visual process management and workflow solution that helps teams to work more efficiently by sharing workflows and documents and enhance processes.
- If you are looking for very simple and easy to use workflow tool at an affordable price, this one can be a good solution.
- Clients and team members collaborate easily in real time by sharing tasks, information and comments, anytime and from anywhere.
- You can plan, monitor and improve project performance using cumulative flow diagram and cycle time reports.
- Key features: Real-time Workflows and Kanban Boards, Online Document Sharing and Integration, Reports and Analytics.
- If you are searching for a very simple workflow management software tools, Kanban Tool may be the best answer for you.
- Free trial available.
- This 100% cloud-based solution allows you to automate your processes & workflows in minutes.
- Flokzu is a cloud-based solution to define and automate processes (workflows) involving documents among people in organizations or teams performing different tasks.
- It lets you centralize every form, document or file in just one place, search through them, manage pending tasks and create alerts, eliminating the need of complex spreadsheets and endless email threads.
- The tool allows you to execute, automate and analyze document processes.
- You can automate multiple processes in Flokzu, such as: Identification of Business Opportunities, Employee Recruitment, Report Software Incidents, Approval of Contracts, Commercial Monitoring and more.
- Main features: Team work, 100% cloud-based, System Integrations, BPMN Diagrams, Model, automate, measure & evaluate features, Awesome Stats, Highly secure, Public forms, Search everything and more.
- Gravity is a multi-platform (IBM i, Windows, Unix, Linux, Mac OS, etc.) task and workflow management solution.
- The software provides visible management of various kinds of processes across multiple departments and teams.
- Supports process automation, and streamlines and controls all changes taking place within your organization – regardless of the methodology you use.
- Dedicated to IT teams to support issue tracking, work management and provide helpdesk functionality.
- Gravity can be used by the entire enterprise and provide a coherent and controlled workflow for any department (IT, sales, finance, customer service, warehouse, and others).
- Who is Gravity for: Software developers, IT executives, Business analysts, DevOps.
- Key features: Methodology independent process automation (AGILE, Scrum, Waterfall, XP, etc.), Workflow design with customized documents, tasks and user roles, Task management and process automation, Activity personalization, Event management, Project management support, Notification system, Collaborative application and more.
- Chronos Workflow is a workflow management platform with automation solution for all-size businesses – from large to small.
- The system provides a quite good range of workflow features and capabilities for automating and streamlining any business processes.
- Chronos Workflow can handle complex workflows and all the connecting documents. It is a great self-service process automation tool.
- Key features of the platform are: visually design processes in any complexity, easy-to-use and self-service administration interface, ability to define the process step owners, easily define dependencies, email notifications, reports & audit trail, mobile/tablet optimized and more.
- Integration – a wide set of connectors enabling integration with different line of business applications.
- Document Management tool – supports the contribution, structuring and distribution of enterprise content in a controlled and secured environment.
- An Innovative AI integrated business workflow solution.
- The software focuses on automation of business process and prediction.
- You can upload videos, images, text, and other content to describe what someone needs to do.
- Delegate tasks and take responsibility. Create a “Todo” (run your workflow). You can create Todos by using the FlowPro interface or from your existing cloud software.
- Automate – Automate time wasting activities.
- Measure performance and make improvements. Examine the difference between your expectations and actual: revenue, earned value, costs and other KPIs.
- Very simple and easy to use.
- Free trial available.
Top free and open source workflow application software and systems
- Pyrus is the team communication tool that helps move work forward.
- It’s real-time messaging, task delegation, and approval flows for modern teams.
- Pyrus is free to use for an unlimited number of people.
- Besides the open source option, there are more 3 premium versions – Business, Enterprise, and Unlimited.
- Free option includes Unlimited users, Up to 100 tasks, Smart Inbox™, Native mobile apps, Secure storage.
- Pyrus’s flexible workflow engine seamlessly integrates with existing ERP, CRM, SCM, or other software.
- Companies use Pyrus for sales & marketing, administrative tasks, human resources, IT and many other workflows.
- Definitely one of the best free workflow software – cloud based.
- Bitrix24 is web-based workflow software that’s 100% free for up to 12 users.
- It’s available both in cloud and on-premise and comes both with standard workflows (leave requests, business trips, expense approvals and reimbursements, basic helpdesk, purchasing) and custom workflows.
- Bitrix24 is ready to be used in 30 seconds and doesn’t require complicated setup.
- Importantly, it supports your corporate structure and automatically builds workflows based on the hierarchies (i.e. it assumes that leave requests have to be approved by supervisors first before they are forwarded to HR department.
- Its free version has a huge range of features.
- ProcessMaker is easy to use open source business process management (BPM) or workflow software application.
- This workflow management software is suitable for organizations of any size that support designing, automating and deploying business processes or workflows of various kinds.
- The software is completely web based and accessed via any web browser.
- Very simple to manage and coordinate workflows throughout an entire organization – including user groups and departments.
- Can also interact with other applications and systems such as ERP, business intelligence, CRM and document management.
- There are 4 plans: Free (open source), Standart, Corporate, and Enterprise.
- The free one includes Workflow without support or guarantees and Download Format Availability.
How to choose the best workflow management tools?
Choosing the best workflow management software tool for your company depends, entirely on your needs.
If your organization have many and complex business processes you need an all-in-one solution that include a lot of features besides workflow ones.
Large sized organizations have a range of advanced requirements such as integration needs for example. They need to search for workflow software with high levels of features and capabilities.
But if you are a small business owner a simple workflow system can work great for you.
Before choosing your workflow software carefully examine all the features it provides and think about how they fit your needs.
Anyway, there are some basic features and capabilities that any good workflow software should provide.
Here is a list of them:
- Easy and quick workflow setup and process creation. It is great if the system provides drag & drop Workflow Editor. The setup should be intuitive and simple and shouldn’t require a consultant to help you through it.
- Role-based access control – Every Workflow Management System should allow customizing what each user can see and edit. In that way, different roles and responsibilities in the company will have different type and scope of access to the tool. Do not forget that any organization has sensitive information that is not supposed to be shared with everyone.
- Notifications – the workflow tool you’re searching for should have the ability to remind all users (mostly via e-mail) and to notify them of upcoming dates, made changes, updated features, approvals, progress, steps and etc. In our hectic business life, this is absolutely crucial feature.
- Document integration and management – this one allows all work-related files to be saved and edited. A cloud-based documentation application has capabilities of storage and changes and also some provide chat option between users and team members.
- Integration with other systems and cloud services – this is a key feature with a huge importance because your workflow process does not exist independently of other business processes and you need to synchronize your projects and activities. The top and best workflow management software integrate seamlessly with systems like Quickbooks, SalesForce, Google Calendar, Freshbooks, Xero and etc.
- Full reporting and analytics. To be a workflow system effective, it should provide a high level of reporting and analytics. Reports help decision making and optimization of resources.
- Graphical representation and visualization – this function is very important because the graphical interface makes complete sense of the business processes and allows you to see the overall picture in a clearer way. Best workflow management systems should provide graphical simplicity. You have to be able to run a report easily with an included graph.
- The flexibility of workflow patterns – the system should give you the possibility to tailor a process to your needs. Tou should be able to model workflows in a variety of ways. Every company and business have its own workflows, and their workflow management tool have to handle customized patterns to fit the specific needs and processes.
Download the following Infographic in PDF for Free: Features Any Good Workflow Software Should Provide
Finding the best workflow management software system for your needs can provide you with a lot of benefits and the major of them are: reduced errors, improved efficiency, and enhanced overall business performance.
Keep the above features in mind when you are searching and compare software and always ask yourself if the workflow system can cover your specific needs and requirements. Once you get the right tool, efficiency and results will make a great difference to your business.