Here you will learn what includes basic computer skills list. Every one of us clearly knows that computer skills are a must for every type of job position that related to work at an office. IT and computer skills are an important part of every good resume, job application, CV or cover letter.
There are many types of specific computer skills required for different jobs.
For examples: an accountant have to be able to work with ERP systems, a web designer have to work with Adobe Photoshop, and etc. When you are applying for a job, you have to list your computer skills that are related to this job position.
This page contains a list of basic computer skills and qualifications needed for a basic computer literacy and abilities to work with the most common software currently being used for office work.
Computer Skills List
Computer skills are some of the most popular technical skills. Some of the most typical interview questions are “What computer programs are you working with? ” , “What is the level of your computer or IT skills?” and etc. In your CV or resume, you have to list your IT skills in details.
Here are listed basic computer abilities suitable for job positions that require lighter computer skills:
- Windows (XP, Windows 7, 8 and etc.). The ability to work with Windows is a must because it is the most used operating system all over the world. Actually, nowadays the most popular is Windows 10.
If you do not know how to work with it or you need further knowledge, Microsoft office provides Windows 10 Step by Step book that is very easy to learn:
If you are able to work with other operating systems (such as UNIX, Linux, Mac) list it in your CV.
- Microsoft Word. It is a widely used commercial word processor that almost everyone (from managers to administrative personal) uses in a company.
- Microsoft Excel. This software allows you to organize, format and calculate data with formulas. Working with Excel is an important ability for managers, sales and marketing department, office administrator, accountants and for long lists of other professionals.
Actually Microsoft Excel is a whole planet with so many opportunities in different areas. Here are some of the greatest self-education books:
Microsoft Excel 2016 Step by Step
Microsoft Excel Data Analysis and Business Modeling
MOS 2016 Study Guide for Microsoft Excel
- PowerPoint. This slide show presentation program gives you everything you need to produce a professional-looking presentation. PowerPoint is a great tool for business and personal use. Recommended books here:
MOS 2016 Study Guide for Microsoft PowerPoint
Beyond Bullet Points, 3rd Edition: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
- Outlook Express or another email program. Business correspondence via email is an essential part of everyday business life. There are several email programs available (Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail, Eudora and more). Outlook Express is probably the most popular of them all. If you need help with Outlook Express, Microsoft Outlook 2016 Step by Step is very useful guide to help you.
- Windows Share Folders or other programs for sharing information. Windows Share Folders allows you to share your files and folders with other colleagues and business partners—either locally or over the network.
If you have other IT and computer skills list them on your resume. If you have any certificates refer to these skills attach them on your resume.
Besides basic computer abilities, it is very important to mention the ability to work with other specialized software (if you can) such as inventory management software, time tracking and billing tools, payroll software, simple project management software, online brochure makers and etc.
Here you can find more information about software skills!