What are accountant skills? The page contains a list of accounting skills, duties, and qualifications needed to build a career. The list also is useful to put on a resume, CV, and cover letter.
Accounting qualifications and skills include a wide range of abilities (working with numbers, paying close attention to detail, team working and more) that are required for all levels – junior accountant, senior and accounting manager.
Accounting Skills List. Accountant Qualifications & Duties.
To be an accountant, the minimum qualification required is Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. The more qualifications and skills you possess, the more opportunities for a good job (with many benefits and high salary) you have.
Accounting skills list is a really long list. Here are listed some of the key and main of them:
- Numeracy Skills
Numeracy skills are basic skills needed for accounting. Numeracy skills are basic mathematical skills that include a range of abilities to understand and analyze numerical information and to make the right conclusions and decisions.
Main numeracy skills of an accountant are understanding relationships between numbers, ability to organize information, argumentation and logical thinking, calculation skills, measurement and data analysis, and more. Many accountant duties and responsibilities include operations with numbers and accounts.
- Attention to Detail
If you want to be a good accountant, attention to detail skills are crucial for you. You have to be able to pay attention to the small things, keep track of tasks that need to be accomplished, and to limit distractions.
- Organization Skills and Time Management Skills
Organization skills required for accounting are some of the most important too. They include focus oriented ability, prioritization, multi-tasking skills.
Time management skills have a crucial role, especially in this hectic lifestyle where we are always busy. Main time management abilities are: setting goals, prioritizing your goals, creating a schedule, using optimization tools, making lists, and breaking large tasks into smaller tasks.
Many accountants undervalue creating a schedule and making lists. But these tools are really very helpful. Definitely, you can’t manage your time effectively if you do not have a schedule.
The schedule should contain all the things you have to do. Every one of us is prone to forget. You can’t remember everything you should do during the day. So do not forget to make lists of your tasks and goals.
- Computer Skills
Here are included not only basic computer skills that are a needed for many jobs and positions. Accounting skills include good knowledge and ability to work with different types of accounting software such as SAP or ERP systems, Excel, Word, and other.
Nowadays, it is a must for accountants to use a wide range of tools such as payroll software, timekeeping software, job management software, resource management software and many other different types of systems and programs.
- Communication Skills
An accountant must be able to communicate effectively, orally and in writing. Main accountant duties are related to communications with other accountants, financial managers, and other people and workers.
Along with accounting skills, there is a long list of qualifications, responsibilities and duties you have to be familiar if you want a successful career of an accountant.
Accountant Qualifications, Knowledge, and Competencies
As we mention above the minimum qualification required is Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance. But there are other important accounting qualifications that bring a great value to your competencies and knowledge. The more accountant qualifications and knowledge you have, the more opportunities for high-paid jobs. Here is a list of qualifications and knowledge you need:
- A degree in Accounting or Finance and related fields such as Business Administration or Public Administration.
- Additional accounting and / or auditing courses.
- A certificate in Accounting as Certified Public Accountant.
- Knowledge of professional accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations.
Accountant Duties and Responsibilities
Some of the main accounting duties and responsibilities are:
- Preparation of financial statements and other financial reports.
- Preparation and review of balance sheet reconciliations.
- Prepares asset, liability, and capital account entries.
- Documentation of financial transactions.
- Provides financial information to management.
- Processing of customer payments and balancing accounts.
- Еntering vendor invoices into the system and communicating with vendors.
- Complex research and analysis of specific accounts.
- Providing professional accounting advice and assistance.
- Analyze business operations, trends, and costs.
Good accounting skills, qualifications, knowledge, and competencies are a basis for a successful career of a professional accountant.
- Learn Accounting. Understand Business. – Developing a Business Mindset through the Application of Accounting Concepts
- Introduction to Finance, Accounting, Modeling and Valuation – Learn Finance & Accounting from Scratch by an Award Winning MBA Professor, Ivy Grad, worked @ Goldman & VC.
- Shark Accounting – Building a Business by the Numbers! – An introduction to management accounting for entrepreneurs and business owners.
- Accounting 101: How to read a Balance Sheet – Accounting 101: Non-Accountants’ Guide to Accounting. Learn Accounting. Get Paid More